Thursday, March 30, 2006

And another for the trey


This is the close edge of some color and geometry field stuff I have done. It was after taking a class in which I was hit by the power of Bauhaus and DeStijl. This one has more recognizable subject matter. As a large print, it has that whole intensity of scale thing going. Thanks to Andy for that. Not a soup can, but you see what I mean?

Probably mid 80s. Nice and sharp, good balance and tone. Not really rule of thirds, because that does not have enough tension for me. Not that this is tense. But the large, oversized image of rural looking building detail is interesting for me. The why.

So why? Well, it struck me, and I took the pic. The texture is great, the color is that recognizable barn red. As a southerner, it is a recognized hue. And to get too close is an attempt to abstract it a bit. Look at this thing, this arrangement, this art in commerce. Well, not really. It is probably more of an homage to my roots and locale. I am a southerner, I know Warhol and Bauhaus and Destijl, but I am a redneck. Not really, but a southerner still.

And it is a door after all, an entry, portal. It happens to be the door to a friends cabin. A wonderful place with ghosts and memories and so much fun. That evocation is strictly personal. I would be amazed if anyone else, even the participants recognized the locale of the actual door. The hinge is the working part of the entry, the screen a less permeable barrier. And it is closed.

Beautiful light! Chiarascuro (sp?!?!) and wear in the paint. It gives the solid a delicate, worn quality. Hmmm, this is more than I thought about the pic when I made it. But as I said, it is the most accesible of some pics in a series that become more and more removed from content. Some of those will likely follow.

No comments: