Friday, May 26, 2006

early surprise


These types of pics I refer to as Warholian in that I tend to mess with the sense of scale and context, like a grand painting of a soup can. Instead of popular culture figures or consumer merchandise, I tend to do it with nature elements. The idea is to decontextualize the content so that it becomes more structural and form based than what it is a picture OF. In that way it is like some of Mondrian's work which was about balance and color and tension instead of subject. Now it is difficult to remove the subject matter that much when you are using nature, often water, but this is the idea. Here, it is unusual in that this pic has those elements in 1978 or 77, long before I was exposed to the concepts. The pic is TOO close, and I really like that. It is a nice surprise that the style was percolating before I had the grounds to steep. Kinda.

Also, I am thinking of renaming the blog "More Pictures of Water" since I am obviously preoccupied with the substance.

No comments: